«Heart Rose»--free pattern & photo tutorial

Trying to incorporate a heart shape into the design presented me with a problem in that the shape of it would mean the blanket design would have a definite top and lower edge in order that the heart shape sat in the right position. I played with heart shapes a lot, but in the end I decided it simply didn’t fit within the design, however I then saw that the shape would work perfectly as a flower petal and set about designing this piece ‘Heart Rose’.   This is one of my favorite  pieces within the design and once again it starts with those fabulous popcorn stitches made at the centre of Block 2.Below I have posted the step by step images for this motif:
On Round 4 you need to work a 'spike dc' (US = spike sc) into the stitch at the base of a stitch made 2 rounds lower down.
Working the spike stitch between the petals gives a lovely heart shaped definition to them.
A frame work is made using Teal on Round 5 - this round becomes the basis of the leaves of the flower. The image below shows the round from the reverse of the piece:
Working out how to make the leaves took me quite a while, but I think they worked really well in the end!
Another framework is made on Round 7 using Sunflower. The images below show the progress of Round 8 and 9
Using black in a design was a big decision for me as it can make crocheting quite difficult to see, however I felt that the colour was imperative to the design so tried to use it relatively sparingly! On this motif it is used on the 2 final rounds.
I hope you enjoy making this motif - it was one of my favorite to design and I think it will look great in lots of different colour ways.