Slip Stitch Crochet Fabric Tutorial

It may seem crazy, but simply by repeating the slip stitch over and over you can produce a thick and dense crochet fabric. I have found it is especially great for making scarves for men. It’s not necessarily a masculine stitch, if such a thing exists, but the appearance of it is just different than lots of others.
At any rate, we’re going to do a quick tutorial here so that you can be knocking this sucker out super quick. If you know how to chain and you know how to do the slip stitch this is easy as pie.
For this project you will need:
Yarn--Size H or I Crochet Hook 
Typically I crochet very tightly but this requires a loose hand. If you’re a super tight hooker you should practice to loosen up a bit before tackling a larger project. If you find your stitches are still too tight and it is difficult to work the piece, try going up one to a larger hook size.In this tutorial I started with an H hook but I was too tight so I started over with an I hook and found that I was able to work the stitch very well.First chain the length you require. I have found that this particular crochet stays pretty true to size on the initial chain.
Insert the hook into the second chain from your hook.Yarn over and pull through both loops on your hook. Resist the temptation to tighten your yarn.
Continue working through the chain by pushing through a chain, then yarn over, take off both loops.When you get to the end of a row, chain one and turn your work to continue.
I love the diagonal dashes and straight lines in the pattern of the fabric but you can also have a fabric with the dashes only…To do so, simply run your hook through both loops rather than just the back one.