SIZE: One Size
Finished Circumference About 78 in. (198 cm)
Finished Height About 10 in. (25.5 cm)
Exact gauge is not essential to this project.
1. Cowl is worked flat in one piece using an interesting (but easy) technique.
2. The 'Challah bread' effect is made by working on a group of a few sts at a time, leaving the remaining sts on your needle.
3. Each time you work on a group of sts, you make a Stockinette st (k on RS, p on WS) strip. These strips create a dimensional effect on the Cowl.
4. Throughout the pattern, the first st of every row is always slipped. When working a knit row, slip the first st as if to knit; when working a purl row, slip the first st as if to purl.
5. Ends of finished piece are sewn together to make the Cowl.
6. A crochet chain is woven through the top edge of the Cowl as a Drawstring. Adjust the length of the Drawstring to a length that's flattering and comfortable for you! If you prefer, use a length of ribbon as your Drawstring.
Note: On knit rows, sl the first st as if to knit; on purl rows, sl the first st as if to purl.
Cast on 15 stitches.
Set up Rows
Row 1 (WS): Purl.
Row 2: Sl 1, knit to end of row.
Row 3: Sl 1, purl to end of row.
Row 4: Sl 1, k5. Turn, leaving remaining sts unworked.
Row 5: Sl 1, p5. Turn.
Rows 6-13: Rep Rows 4 and 5.
As you work the rest of the Cowl, you'll simply continue to knit or purl groups of sts. Turn and work across just the number of sts the instructions tell you to, always leaving the remaining sts unworked. After working a few strips, you'll be able to see the pattern emerging.
Row 14: Sl 1, k8. Turn.
Row 15: Sl 1, p5. Turn.
Row 16: Sl 1, k5. Turn.
Rows 17-22: Rep Rows 15 and 16.
Row 23: Rep Row 15.
Rows 24 - 33: Rep Rows 14-23 of Second Strip.
Row 34: Sl 1, k8. Turn.
Row 35: Sl 1, p5. Turn.
Row 36: Sl 1, k5. Turn.
Rows 37-42: Rep Rows 35 and 36.
Row 43: Sl 1, purl to end of row.
Row 44: Sl 1, knit to end of row.
Rows 45 and 46: Rep Rows 43 and 44.
Row 47: Sl 1, p5. Turn.
Row 48: Sl 1, k5. Turn.
Rows 49-56: Rep Rows 47 and 48.
Row 57: Sl 1, p8. Turn.
Row 58: Sl 1, k5. Turn.
Row 59: Sl 1, p5. Turn.
Rows 60-65: Rep Rows 58 and 59.
Row 66: Rep Row 58.
Rows 67-76: Rep Rows 57-66 of Sixth Strip.
Row 77: Sl 1, p8. Turn.
Row 78: Sl 1, k5. Turn.
Row 79: Sl 1, p5. Turn.
Rows 80-85: Rep Rows 78 and 79.
Row 86: Sl 1, knit to end of row.
Row 87: Sl 1, purl to end of row.
Rows 88 and 89: Rep Rows 86 and 87.
Rep Rows 4-89 seven more times.
Bind off. Cut yarn, leaving a long yarn tail.
Thread yarn tail into blunt needle and sew bound off end of piece to cast on end.
Weave in yarn ends.
With crochet hook, make a chain about 42 in. (107 cm) long.
Weave chain in and out of openings between strips along one long edge of Cowl.
Try on Cowl and adjust Drawstring to fit, then knot ends of Drawstring together.